Saturday 6 February 2016

Vegan Apple Crumble


One of the hardest things about going vegan is giving up the home cooked staple foods that your mum makes. For me that means Apple Crumble and Custard!
Instead of giving it up, I thought I would try my hand at making it vegan.
Ingredients
Cooking Apples (I used some from my parents tree)
Caster Sugar
Plain Flour
Vegan Butter
Method
Now the amount of apples you decide to cook is up to you, but it will affect the amount of other ingredients you need.
For the two little ramekins that I made, I used approximately 4 medium sized cooking apples which i peeled, cored and cut into chunks. I then put the apples in a saucepan and stewed for approximately 10 minutes adding a little water if it looks like it is sticking.
What I usually do is cook as many apples as my parents give me in autumn when they fall and stew them and freeze them for whenever I need them. It is so quick and simple meaning whenever you get a hankering for crumble or pie, you have pre cooked apples ready to go, you just have to defrost them.
Once you have stewed your apples (or defrosted them), add them to a heatproof dish. I used two small ramekins as I was only cooking them for me but my mum always uses as casserole dish to put hers in. Then add approximately 3 to 5 tablespoons of caster sugar to the apples (depending on how many apples you have used and how sweet you like it). At this point you can also add cinnamon if you wish (I did - approximately 1 teaspoon).
Next comes making the crumble topping. When making my crumble topping, I used approximately 60g of flour, 30f of sugar and 30g of vegan butter to my 4 medium sized apples. If you are using a casserole dish, the average measurements are 120g of flour, 60g of caster sugar and 60g of butter.


Mix all those ingredients together in a bowl with your hands. Use your fingers and thumb to breadcrumb the mixture together. After this, transfer the mixture to a baking tray and cook in the oven at 170 c fan for approximately 15 minutes or until a light golden brown colour.



Once the crumble topping is made, add the topping to the apples. You can either leave this to one side and cook later as it will only need to be heated for approximately 5 to 10 minutes at 180 c fan to heat the apples and warm it back through as everything is already pre cooked or cook and eat straight away.

I found this vegan apple crumble simple to make and delicious to eat. Serve it with vegan vanilla ice-cream and people probably wouldn't notice the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment